create an account or sign in to crib.
If you could only fix one, fix your sleep, not your exercise. Nobody wants to hear it because you cannot post about sleeping.
That dentistry sits outside the NHS is the strangest line anyone has ever drawn through a human body. Teeth are in there. They hurt. Nobody can explain it.
How somebody looks after their own body is nobody else's business. Not mine, not yours, not their colleague's, not a stranger's on the internet.
Getting a GP appointment has become a competitive sport and the people who are worst at sport are the ones who need it most.
Running is boring and that is the entire point. Every attempt to make exercise entertaining has produced something people stop doing in March.
Every winter the entire country gets the same cough and we have all agreed to describe it as "something going round".
Nobody tells you that recovering from something takes about three times longer than the leaflet says, and that the last third is almost entirely boredom.
Everyone I know is on their phone in bed and everyone I know is tired. I am not saying it is causal. I am saying it is a hell of a coincidence.
Walking is free, works for nearly everybody, and has no equipment attached, which is exactly why you never hear about it.
"Trauma" now stretches from genocide to a bad line manager, and somewhere in that stretch the word stopped doing any work at all.
Are smart wearables a fad?
The number of people I know who have quietly cut something out of their diet and never mentioned it to a doctor is, now I think about it, most of them.
Health advice aimed at women is still mostly either about being thinner or about having children, and it is genuinely strange how little else there is.
We treat mental health at work like it is about resilience training when it is mostly about workload and whether your manager is a decent person.
An unpopular position I hold about hospitals: the food is bad for a reason that has nothing to do with catering, and fixing it would cost more than anyone will admit. Hospital food has to be safe for people with immune systems that barely work, edible by someone who cannot chew properly, compatible with about fourteen medical diets, transportable across a large building, and hold at temperature for the twenty minutes it takes to get to the far ward. Given those constraints, what arrives is roughly what has to arrive. Every campaign to improve it treats it as a failure of will, as though somebody in charge simply does not care whether patients enjoy lunch. Then a celebrity chef gets involved, produces something excellent in one ward for six weeks, and the programme quietly ends when it meets the other three hundred wards and the actual budget. I am not saying it could not be better. I am saying that "why is hospital food bad" has a real answer, and nobody campaigning about it ever engages with the answer.
Nobody prepares you for the phone call where your parent becomes the person who needs looking after. It does not arrive as a diagnosis. It arrives as a series of small things you decide individually not to worry about — a missed bill, the same story twice, a car with a scrape nobody mentions. Each one is fine. You notice the pattern about eight months after it started. What I was not ready for is that there is no moment where anybody tells you it has changed. No appointment, no letter. You simply find yourself doing more of the phoning and more of the deciding, and one day you realise the direction reversed some time ago and nobody said. The practical stuff I could handle. What I could not was that he knew too, and was managing it, and that both of us spent about a year protecting the other from a conversation we were separately already having.
Nearly everything we were told about food between about 1980 and 2015 turned out to be wrong, and almost nobody who told us has ever accounted for it.
Ask anyone whether they want the truth from their doctor and they say yes, then go to pieces the moment a doctor is actually blunt with them.
something you reckon. a gripe, a hunch, a hill you will die on. serious or not.
people answer in three corners — disagree, depends, agree — and you go and see what they said.
anyone can join with an email address. it is used to send you a code and nothing else.
what all this does to your head, and what to do about it.