not signed in sign in
appearance
cribate sign insign up

create an account or sign in to crib.

order
shuffled while the place is small, newest first once it isn’t. override it if you’d rather.
gn Gia Nash @gian1 4 months ago life

A thing I cannot resolve about giving money to people begging. The argument against is well rehearsed and mostly correct: it may fund an addiction, it does not address the cause, the money would do more good given to an organisation set up to help, and the impulse is partly about how it makes me feel rather than what it does. The argument for is much shorter and I keep finding it harder to dismiss. Someone in front of me has asked for something I can trivially provide, and every framework I use to say no is a framework I constructed after the fact, sitting comfortably somewhere else. What I actually do is inconsistent — sometimes yes, sometimes no, and the variable is mostly my mood and how much of a hurry I am in, which is the worst possible basis. I would rather hold either position honestly than keep operating a policy that is really just weather.

hundreds of views 3
yp Yara Pillai @yarap 3 days ago life

Being the person in the group who organises things is a thankless job and it is always the same person, and that person is usually tired.

tens of views 3
rf Rahul Fairbank @rahulf 4 months ago life

The best decisions get made quickly. The ones that drag on for months usually dragged because nobody wanted to say the obvious thing out loud.

hundreds of views 4
gi Gia Ives @giai 4 months ago life

Owning things is overrated, says the man with a garage he cannot park in.

hundreds of views 3
cs Cara Sandoval @caras 1 month ago life

A thing about friendship after about thirty that I do not think anybody warns you about. It stops happening by default. School, university and your first job all put you in a room with the same people repeatedly for years, and every friendship you have was quietly manufactured by that. Then it stops, and the machinery goes with it, and nobody tells you because the people it has already happened to have stopped noticing. What replaces it is admin. You have to want it enough to put a date in a calendar six weeks out, and then to still want it on the night, which after a full week is a genuinely different question. The friendships that survive are not the deepest ones. They are the ones where somebody was willing to do the admin. I find that slightly bleak and also I have made my peace with it. The alternative was assuming it was about me, and it took about four years to work out that it was structural. Everyone I have said this to since has said some version of yes, and then said they thought it was just them.

hundreds of views 4
of Omar Ferreira @omarf 3 months ago life

Ambition gets treated as a virtue and I am not convinced. Half the ambitious people I know are mainly frightened of turning out ordinary.

hundreds of views 4
nk Nils Kaur @nilsk 4 months ago life

Being late is a decision that your time is worth more than mine. There is no version of it that isn't that, however pleasantly it gets phrased.

hundreds of views 3
ot Omar Thorne @omart 4 months ago life

Tipping culture has completely lost the plot and I'm saying that as someone who used to wait tables.

hundreds of views 3
pz Priya Zeller @priyaz 3 months ago life

My mother has started every phone call for about eleven years by asking whether I have eaten, and I used to find it maddening. It is not really a question. She does not want to know what I ate. If I say yes she moves on immediately and if I say no she is briefly upset, so it is not information she is gathering, it is a check that I am alright, in a form that does not require either of us to say anything embarrassing. I have come round to thinking most of what people find irritating about their parents is this — a real thing being expressed in a code that got set decades ago and never updated. The content is fine. The format is from 1994. What changed my mind was catching myself asking my nephew whether he is keeping busy, which is the same question wearing a different coat, and realising I had inherited the whole apparatus without noticing.

hundreds of views 3
mf Maya Ferreira @mayaf 1 month ago life

Am I the only one who finds "quiet luxury" is just expensive clothes for people who got embarrassed about logos?

hundreds of views 4
bg Bo Glass @bog 6 days ago life

Nobody knows what to do with an afternoon any more. Give most people four unplanned hours and they will tidy something.

tens of views 2
dc Dev Chen @devc 1 month ago life

Nobody knows their neighbours and everybody says they would like to, which suggests the barrier is not that we do not want to.

tens of views 3
la Lior Ardent @liora 5 days ago life

I have started saying "I don't know" out loud in meetings and conversations and it has been quietly transformative, which I did not expect.

tens of views 2
gl Gus Lindqvist @gusl 25 days ago life

Moving house is the only reliable way to find out what you actually own, and the answer is always "far less than this".

tens of views 3
hb Hari Bakshi @harib 5 months ago life

Reading a hard book slowly is not the same activity as reading an easy book slowly, and treating them as one thing is why reading targets are useless. Counting books is like counting meals — the number is accurate and it tells you almost nothing about whether anything was absorbed.

hundreds of views 3
mn Mira Nash @miran 21 days ago life

I have started saying no to things eleven months in advance and it turns out absolutely nothing happens.

hundreds of views 3
pz Priya Zeller @priyaz 4 months ago life

Most people would be happier with fewer options. Ask anyone who has spent forty minutes scrolling and then rewatched something they had already seen twice.

hundreds of views 3
sg Sim Glass @simg 4 months ago life

Saying the uncomfortable thing is usually the kind option, and almost nobody does it, because the discomfort arrives immediately and the kindness turns up months later.

hundreds of views 3
ey Emil Yarrow @emily 5 months ago life

Follow the rules that make no sense anyway. The alternative is everybody deciding privately which ones are silly, and that unravels faster than you would think.

hundreds of views 3
rg Rae Glass @raeg 26 days ago life

My handwriting has become genuinely illegible and I only found out because I had to fill in a form in front of somebody.

hundreds of views 2
eu Emil Underhill @emilu 1 month ago life

I cannot do a phone call any more and I genuinely do not know when that happened.

hundreds of views 3
ie Idris Elstree @idrise 1 month ago life

Half the arguments I have with my partner are about the same four things and we have never once finished one. I am not sure that is a problem, which is new.

hundreds of views 2
mf Maya Ferreira @mayaf 2 months ago life

Most people who say they want honest feedback want accurate praise, and the two are easy to confuse until the feedback is actually negative. You can watch the switch happen in real time: the request is sincere, and then the first genuine criticism arrives and the next twenty minutes are spent supplying context.

hundreds of views 3
tn Tomas Nakamura @tomasn 4 months ago life

Small talk gets a terrible press, mostly from people who have never had to sit next to a stranger for two hours.

hundreds of views 4
hb Hari Bakshi @harib 3 months ago life

Can we talk about the specific misery of a group chat trying to decide where to eat? Six people, all of whom have a preference, none of whom will state it first. Somebody offers a place. Two react with a thumbs up, which means nothing. One says "I'm easy!" which is a lie. The person who actually wanted Thai says nothing, because saying it now would look like overruling. Ninety minutes pass. You end up at the place nobody chose, which everyone privately rates about a six. The thing is that this is not a coordination problem, it is a status problem. Everyone knows the fastest solution is one person deciding. What nobody wants is to be the person who decided, because then the evening is theirs, and if the food is mediocre it is their fault. The only fix I have found is somebody booking it before the chat starts. Not suggesting — booking. Nobody has ever objected, which rather gives the game away: it was never that people disagreed, it was that nobody wanted to own it.

hundreds of views 3
show older cribs

what is a crib?

something you reckon. a gripe, a hunch, a hill you will die on. serious or not.

people answer in three corners — disagree, depends, agree — and you go and see what they said.

small on purpose

anyone can join with an email address. it is used to send you a code and nothing else.

sign up · sign in

let's get mental

what all this does to your head, and what to do about it.

have a read