not signed in sign in
appearance
cribate sign insign up

create an account or sign in to crib.

order
shuffled while the place is small, newest first once it isn’t. override it if you’d rather.
gl Gus Lindqvist @gusl 3 months ago tech

Polarisation gets the blame, but the lasting damage from social media might be flattening — every subject arrives at the same size, in the same box, with the same three reactions available, whether it is a war or a sandwich.

hundreds of views 3
eh Elif Holloway @elifh 1 month ago tech

Group chats replaced forums and we lost the thing where a stranger's answer from four years ago was still there when you needed it.

hundreds of views 4
cp Cara Prine @carap 4 months ago tech

Calling it phone addiction misses it. Most people are bored at work, and the phone is the only thing that isn't.

hundreds of views 3
nf Nadia Ferreira @nadiaf 1 month ago tech

Self-driving is a much harder problem than anyone selling it admits. The driving was never the bit — it is the one situation in ten thousand that nobody wrote a rule for.

hundreds of views 3
vs Vera Sandoval @veras 4 days ago tech

Every interface is now designed to be learned once and never thought about, which is wonderful until the day it does something you did not ask for.

hundreds of views 2
dr Dev Rao @devr 4 months ago tech

Why is every app now trying to be a social network? I want the thing to do the thing.

hundreds of views 3
tn Tomas Nakamura @tomasn 1 month ago tech

Every device I own wants to update itself at the exact moment I need it. I do not think this is bad luck any more.

hundreds of views 3
af Aditi Ferreira @aditif 4 months ago tech

We will still be typing passwords in ten years. We have been promised their death for two decades and I am still resetting one most weeks.

hundreds of views 4
rf Rahul Fairbank @rahulf 1 month ago tech

I have changed my mind about anonymity online, and I want to set out why, because I argued the other side for years. The case I used to make was straightforward. Anonymity protects the vulnerable — whistleblowers, people in hostile countries, anyone whose opinion could cost them a job. Real-name policies were introduced by companies with a commercial interest in identity, and they were sold with a safety argument that the evidence never really supported. All of that is still true and I have not stopped believing any of it. What changed is that I stopped treating anonymity as one thing. There is anonymity from the state, anonymity from your employer, anonymity from other users, and anonymity from the platform itself. These are four different properties. A system can give you the first three and none of the fourth, and for almost everyone that combination is what they actually want. The mistake I was making was arguing about a slider when the real question was who each end of it protects you from. Once I separated them, most of the disagreements I had been having turned out to be people defending different columns of the same table.

hundreds of views 3
eh Elif Holloway @elifh 21 days ago tech

What I actually miss is software that was finished. You bought it, it did the thing, and nobody moved the buttons on a Thursday.

hundreds of views 4
gi Gia Ives @giai 3 months ago tech

Open source got quietly captured by the companies it was supposed to be an escape from. Most of the big projects are staffed by people on three payrolls now, and the licence is the only part that still looks independent.

hundreds of views 4
kp Kit Prine @kitp 1 month ago tech

We are going to spend the next ten years discovering which parts of the internet were being held together by people doing it for free.

tens of views 3
eu Emil Underhill @emilu 2 days ago tech

I miss being unreachable and I am aware I could simply turn the phone off, and I am also aware that I will not.

tens of views 2
gl Gus Lindqvist @gusl 25 days ago tech

Cookie banners were meant to give people control and have instead taught an entire continent to click the nearest button without reading anything. We have trained a reflex, not a decision.

hundreds of views 4
aa Aditi Ardent @aditia 4 months ago tech

Nobody has ever explained to me why we accept that a phone lasts three years.

hundreds of views 5
vf Vera Fairbank @veraf 2 months ago tech

We built an entire economy on the idea that people will keep buying things they already have, and then act surprised when the things are designed to stop working.

hundreds of views 3
cs Cara Sandoval @caras 4 months ago tech

Does anyone else think we gave up on repairing things far too easily? Not in a nostalgic way, I mean it was a policy choice and nobody voted for it.

hundreds of views 3
nd Nadia Dasgupta @nadiad 3 months ago tech

Software has got worse. Everything is a web page in a costume now — slower to open, does less, and it wants an account before it will tell you the time.

hundreds of views 3
af Aditi Ferreira @aditif 5 months ago tech

A backdoor for one government is a backdoor for everyone, and this is arithmetic rather than politics. A key that exists can be stolen.

hundreds of views 3
qt Quinn Tan @quinnt 1 month ago tech

Nostalgia for early internet culture ignores that it was small, homogeneous and mostly male, and that almost everything people miss about it was a property of being small. Two hundred people can hold a norm in their heads without writing it down. Nothing about that survives contact with two million.

hundreds of views 3
mn Milo Nash @milon 1 month ago tech

Search has got noticeably worse and I have started adding the name of a forum to the end of every query, which is a strange thing to have to do in 2026.

hundreds of views 4
cp Cara Prine @carap 3 months ago tech

AI is going to destroy more jobs than it makes. Every previous wave moved people up a ladder; this one is coming for the rungs.

hundreds of views 3
vf Vera Fairbank @veraf 5 months ago tech

Every messaging app eventually turns into a bad email client. Threads, then search, then folders, then somebody adds a rules engine and we are right back where we started.

hundreds of views 3

what is a crib?

something you reckon. a gripe, a hunch, a hill you will die on. serious or not.

people answer in three corners — disagree, depends, agree — and you go and see what they said.

small on purpose

anyone can join with an email address. it is used to send you a code and nothing else.

sign up · sign in

let's get mental

what all this does to your head, and what to do about it.

have a read